I am technically a dependent but want to donate a car (title in my name): is the deduction possible?

My old car is basically on its last legs; it is probably worth $1k-$1.5k and I would probably have an easier time donating it than selling it because of the heavy engine work required.

My question is: am I able to receive any sort of credit/deduction from the donation? Technically I am a dependent of my mother, who lives in Tennessee, until I finish school next year. Would she be able to get the deduction (she itemizes) if I donate it here in Virginia (the title is in my name)?

Thanks


applerock, Try visiting a car repair center in Virginia. http://www.autorepairshoplocator.com/Virginia-Auto-Repair.html They can help you with your questions. Try calling several shops and compare what they say.

Typically when you donate a car to a charity, you will be required to hand over the title of the car as well. In order to do so, it must be in your name. Consequently, the tax certificate received will be in the name of the donor and title holder.

Yes, you can get a nice tax deduction by donating your car.

read more about the whole process here: http://donate-things.org

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น