Ministers, do you know anyone in your congregation who needs a car?

I tried to give my car away to a needy family a year ago, it still worked, but it was just old.

I talked to two ministers. One said he knew of someone, but my story sounded weird so I should try another church. The other said he didn't know anyone in his congregation who needed a car.

Is this common? Do ministers usually refuse donations for needy people in their congregations?

I ended up selling my car for $1000 to a sleazy used car dealer, because I couldn't find a minister who would help me be charitable.


I am a minister. (And since I'm the only one, I guess you have to give me best answer. :)

Anyway, don't be too quick to judge. You only asked two churches. If you really wanted to give your car to a needy family, you should have tried harder. You may have found one able to take it.

For example, I don't know of anyone in my congregation that needs a car right now. That's not the same thing as refusing your donation. You probably would have had better luck trying a large community service organization that had contact with a lot more families.

As for the minister who said your story sounded weird, it's true. A donation of a car is highly unusual and gives the church and the minister a lot more problems than maybe you realize.

I know that you were just being kind. But think about it from the minister's perspective for a minute.

If he doesn't know you, how does he know your car isn't stolen?

If he's not a mechanic (I'm not!), how does he know the car won't break down? This matters if you think about a possible little old widow lady that would receive the car, and then get stuck on the side of the road somewhere. And a needy family probably doesn't have the resources to fix the car.

And in today's overly litigous society, the church could be held liable if someone gets hurt because of that car.

You were giving those churches a lot more potential hassle than maybe you realized.

There are charitable organizations out there that are set up to take donated cars. That might have worked better. Or you could have sold the car, then given the $1,000 to the church, with the specific instruction that it go to a needy family.

Thanks for the best answer! You are charitable! :)

You make a good point about those two ministers telling you it was a hassle. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/accuse_write?qid=20070820233915AAOIfyc&kid=EqwoXlL5JEsjooUAMtC3&s=comm&date=2007-08-22+09%3A24%3A32&.crumb=

You probably talked to ministers who only spoke "Se habla cash." Hehe...

Should you or anyone you know have another "working" car to donate, I can refer you to a non-profit organization [but non-religious though] that helps WWII Fil-Am veterans in Los Angeles. THEY WELCOME and accept all sorts of DONATIONS and volunteers, including time/talent/treasure, office equipment, vehicles, personal and real properties, etc.

If so, do email me asap. Thanks!

Peace be with you.

Perhaps you should do your own scouting, rather than pass it off to a minister.

Also, you could give it away on the internet in a heartbeat! Try Freecycle. (Google or yahoo it for wherever you live).

seriously...if i knew...we'd have to talk...my wife and I need a 2nd car..she is getting her DL and we have very little money...so a car would be HUGE...so that she could get the kids to the Dr. without me having to take the day off..she isn't an invalid, but she is from a different country (YES, LEGALLY) and i need her to have a car and I am trying to avoid the sleazy car guy...

That is unusual. Were you weird about it, or requesting something in return? A minister friend of mine actually gave HIS spare car to a family that needed it. I don't understand why somebody would turn away something as usefull as a car.

Unless, of course it was a Daihatsu. Then I understand... Just kidding, I miss my crappy old Daihatsu Charade. 3 cylinders, 1 liter engine...It was given to me when I was in need, and eventually I gave it to someone else when I replaced it. He needed it.

That is sad but seems to be the case with many churchs today.

This is sad---really. But you could also sell the car and send the money to a mission with the purpose to help buy a car for someone who's in need of it like maybe missionaries in third world countries that are driving around on bikes.

Or put that money for other donations that you feel are worthy of it. Do you know of a family that might not need a car but maybe other financial assistance?

God bless you your open-heartedness for those in need.

im not a minister.. but that is weird.. you shouldve given it to me! i need a car!

Hmmm thats interesting. It just goes to show how closed people are, unwilling to trust. Sad, but I guess it keeps you from being ripped off too much.

The same sort of thing happens to me a lot, it's hard to do altruistic things when people won't trust you.

They probably didn't want to go through the jealousy trip people dish out when someone is given something for free. You should have done as Jesus said to the rich. Sell it and give the money to the poor..........

You are awesome and have a great heart, I don't know why anyone particularly a minister would turn down charity. God will bless you because you have so much goodness in your heart and when you do good things good things will come back to you.

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น